POETRY | When The Guns Fell Silent


 I stood as a conqueror

The ashen sky above

and the plains stretches

pole to pole


The sun's warmth pierces 

through brimstone and fire


The human race will be adrift

At the mercy of the winds of fate


I puff my cigar when a gust of wind blows them away


The trail of smoke guided my eyes

to a house built out of cobblestone

A soft voice called out from inside


My fair lady cladded in crimson red 

A sight to behold

She wore them with immense charm and grace

and caresses her belly before flashing a faint smile


I've been to hell and back

Ages I've endured 

and tempted by the doubt of looking back


But I wouldn't trade the roads I have travelled

and the battles I have fought

For it meant wishing my life away


The poem sums up my desire and yearning for a romantic relationship. It does so by connecting a war torn romanticism and blissful contentedness. Did you like it? I've written another poem about a private eye struggling with his past guilt.

Comments